Sowing SEEDS to Raise Migraine Threshold Course
- Stress reduction
The acronym was originally coined by Larry Newman, MD (NYU Langone Medical Center). With the collaboration of Dr. Newman and other colleagues, Dr. Farrell has expanded on this concept as a treatment guideline for her patients and to help providers implement it in their practice.
For successful migraine management, all healthcare providers who care for patients with migraine need to provide this type of patient education. Teaching this information can be daunting for the provider due to time limitations and overwhelming for patients due to the potential number of behaviors that may need to be addressed. Based on incorporating the literature with this topic, Dr. Farrell uses her experiences with this patient population to help healthcare providers successfully educate patients about behavioral prevention strategies.
- List the migraine intervention options to understand the scope of education needed for patients with migraine.
- Explain behavioral prevention strategies using SEEDS, to encourage patients to implement behaviors that will raise their migraine threshold and reduce their migraine symptoms.
- Recognize some barriers that prevent patient education for the migraine population and determine a plan to overcome these barriers.
- Prepare a plan of care to promote behaviors that help prevent migraine.
- Determine the need for referral to a specialist.
About Dr. Lisa Farrell
In 2017, Dr. Farrell founded Symmetry Alliance, LLC, a consulting firm that provides program development and continuing education for rehabilitation professionals so that she can contribute to helping communities improve their medical care for patients with vestibular pathology. Dr. Farrell has expanded her knowledge to provide qualified training in meditation and mindfulness. She became a certified instructor through the McLean Meditation Institute© in 2020 after observing how her daily meditation practice, as well as the lessons she provided her patients, provides numerous benefits. Dr. Farrell’s professional goal is always to learn and grow to provide the highest standard of teaching and care possible and, to the greatest extent possible, pass on her knowledge to the next generation.
4601 Spicewood Springs Road, Bldg II, Ste. 100, Austin, TX 78759